Fatal fire blamed on errant cigarette
A smoldering cigarette is being blamed for a fire that killed a woman in Boyd County early Wednesday morning. The fire happened inside a mobile home in the 800-block of Gail Drive in Boyd County. It was reported just after 1:30 a.m Wednesday. Coroner Mark Hammond says that Carrie Dickerson, 56, died of smoke inhalation and burns. Hammond says the cigarette had fallen on the carpet in a bedroom area. He says it's likely the carpet had been burning for several hours before firefighters got on the scene. He says a neighbor first smelled smoke about 11 p.m. but could tell where it was coming from.