New ways to save on your heating bill this winter
Kentucky consumers can take a number of steps to reduce their natural gas usage or to soften the impact of gas costs, including:
- Budget billing: Most utilities allow customers to pay the same amount each month, based on their average monthly usage during the year. Customers should contact their utility for more information.
- Energy conservation measures and audits: Many local utilities offer home energy audits at little or no cost to consumers. These audits can identify energy-wasting trouble spots and provide information on how to correct the problems.
- Weatherization: Consumers can do a number of things to reduce inflows of cold air and leakage of warm air, particularly around windows and doors. Some basic weatherization steps include:
- Checking for drafts around doors and windows
- Replacing old insulation
- Insulating pipes and ducts