Some schools in the region are closed. Click here for a full list.


Appalachian Wireless Banner

Not logged in // Login // Sign up


Donations keep WestCare afloat

When you think of the homeless, you usually don't imagine them locally. But there are homeless men, women, and children everywhere, even here, and without a center like WestCare in Pikeville, they may have no where to go at all.

The WestCare center is not just a homeless shelter; according to director Ray Cox, it serves several purposes, but is constantly in danger of having to close its doors. Its annual operating budget is $160,000 and this year's government assistance was about 5% of that total--so the other 95 percent of the money comes from the community and the businesses that make up the community.

Yesterday, we saw a local business give back to WestCare Shelter in Pikeville, and give back to the community. Kirby Walters from the Walters Auto Group was on hand to present a check for $2,500, a donation which will be matched by Toyota.

Filed under: Pike Co. | Health care | Public service


Log in


Username is required.


Password is required.

Forgot password?