Appalachian Wireless Banner

Not logged in // Login // Sign up

Search...
    

Cold weather means you need to be vigilant against CO poisoning

As outdoor winter temperatures drop and the risk for carbon monoxide poisoning increases, Kentuckians are urged to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning due to improper use of heating or cooking devices. Items such as kerosene or propane gas stoves and ovens have been used as alternative heat sources indoors, sometimes with tragic results. These devices emit a colorless, odorless gas, called carbon monoxide, as a by-product, and improper use can lead to severe cases of carbon monoxide poisoning. DPH advises Kentuckians to follow these steps taken from guidelines issued by the National Center for Environmental Health to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in your home, and make a habit of replacing the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall for daylight saving time. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911. On average, carbon monoxide detectors should be replaced about every five years.
  • Don’t use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement or garage or outside near a window.
  • Don’t run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Don’t use a fireplace that isn’t properly vented.
  • Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.
  • Be sure to carefully follow manufacturers’ instructions for kerosene heaters, making sure the wick is set at the proper level and is clean. Ensure your kerosene heater is only operated in a well-vented area. Kerosene heaters require 1-K grade kerosene fuel and the fuel should be clear, not colored or cloudy. To avoid the risk of fire, place kerosene heaters several feet away from all furniture, curtains, paper, clothes, bedding and other combustible materials. Infants, small children and pets should be kept away from heaters to avoid serious burns.

Seek immediate medical attention if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Early symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting and fatigue. Carbon monoxide poisoning is treatable.

Filed under: Fires | Violent crimes | Around the region | Public service


 
 

Log in

Username:


Username is required.

Password:


Password is required.

            
Forgot password?
X