Nascar May Allow Kyle Busch to Compete in 2015 Chase For The Cup
April 24, 2015
Even though he sustained a broken leg in the season opening Xfinity Series race at Daytona that has kept him sidelined since, Nascar CEO Brian France said the sport’s governing body may “accommodate” him. France said it depends on how long Busch remains out of competition (which is still undetermined as this time), but it’s possible he could still be a part of the season ending “playoff” style format to determine the 2016 Sprint Cup Champion. In order to make the chase, a drive must have at least one victory and be in the top 30 in points. While a win is possible if Busch returns in time for the first race in September, a top 30 points position is not. Busch would have to receive a waiver to go on and compete for the title. France said the reason it’s being considered is because Busch’s accident was Nascar’s fault. Busch hit a section of the wall at Daytona that did not have a SAFER barrier. Since then, others have struck such walls at other tracks (with Jeff Gordon hitting one at Las Vegas two races later) and now the sport and it’s tracks are under fire to fix this problem.